Thursday, May 7, 2009

Choose Happy

The first day back at school after being off for 8 days (not really totally off, I did go into work some this week), is hard! I have foyer duty in the mornings and it’s my favorite time of the day. As they come in, I love to tease with the kids and watch their reactions. Today I very enthusiastically told them good morning, and how happy I was to see them, and isn’t it wonderful to be back in school?!! There was not a lot of agreement with me….except from some of the parents!

One teacher came in and said, “They told me out there to try to sneak by you, because you were way too happy to be back.” Now, I do love my job, but it's not that I am thrilled to be there every morning at 6:30 (yes, a.m.) I just think life is much easier if you can possibly find a positive way to spin something. If you can’t change the situation, change your attitude about the situation is the way my very optimistic husband says it.

One of my all-time favorite quotations is by Helen Keller. She said: “No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.” Isn’t that true? If you’re not expecting something better, why would you strive for something better?

Life is really hard and I think we can get sort of negative just naturally by living it. One of my prayers is that as I get older I will get happier, more positive, and more fun to be around. I just don't think it will happen without prayer.

So, until I feel happy, I just fake it...really, then pretty soon my feelings change. An insincere smile is better than a sincere frown any day, right? But, if I smile at you, it's probably sincere...most of the time anyway!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful frame of mind to have. I always try to smile even when I don't feel like it. What's that saying, "Fake it until you feel it." ...or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments!